It’s that time of year again. Out with the free time, and in with the textbooks. Although we all wish we could have an endless summer, there is something nice about getting back into the swing of things. A new school year is like a new clean slate. This clean slate gives us an opportunity to fix our bad habits, organize our lives, and set new goals.
While many of my new semester resolutions pertain to school, they do not all have to be. This is also a great time to set fitness & health goals, social goals, and other personal goals. Here are some of my goals for this semester.
1. Keep an organized day planner: My day planner is one of my favorite items to purchase before the school year. I am an obsessive to-do list maker, so a planner lends to this obsession. This semester, my resolution is to write out the upcoming weeks events on Sunday night, so I can solve any scheduling conflicts ahead of time, as well as see what the week ahead holds. I also want to schedule specific times for exercising and other activities that I enjoy doing. If you write these things into your schedule, you are much more likely to do them.
You can download my FREE calendar for 2016 here!
2. Be an attentive student: We all have shown up to a class before, and completely zoned out the entire time due to lack of sleep, uninteresting material, or pure boredom. Although it can be hard, my resolution is that when I am in class, I am actually IN class. Paying attention, being an active listener, and participating in class discussion. I know this will help my grades, as well as cut down on study time trying to learn what you missed in class.
3. Get more sleep: Although getting a full nights rest is not always possible, we often stay up much later than we need to on pointless things such as social media and surfing the internet. If you have the opportunity to turn in early, take the opportunity! Getting more sleep helps with the learning process, weight loss, and even managing stress according to this article here.
4. Exercise: I have always been an active person, but sometimes squeezing a workout into my busy schedule can seem like an impossible task. In reality, it’s not! I try to do at minimum a 2-3 mile run a day. This only takes me about 20-25 minutes tops! I’m sure anyone can find a spare 20 minutes in their schedule, even if it means waking up 20 minutes earlier. I am also a huge fan of the Nike Training Club App. This app lets you choose which area you would like to work on (abs, arms, legs etc.) and gives you workouts that range from 15 to 45 minutes. Not having time to exercise is no longer an excuse.
5. Healthy Eating: This is one of my resolutions that I am really working on. It is so easy to fall into unhealthy eating habits, when you are on-the-go, eating in the cafeteria, or trying to eat cheap. Our bodies need fuel to function, and not filling them with the proper foods can make our bodies feel like they are running on empty. I try to pack my lunches the night before if I will not be home to eat. I have replaced many foods with healthier and more filling alternatives. For example, instead of white bread I eat double fiber whole grain bread. I also switched out juices and sodas for water, and other snacks with fruit and veggies. I am still working on this, but this semester, my goal is to make healthy eating a habit.
6. Socialize: New school year = new people. Take advantage of the opportunity to make new friends and contacts. This also includes joining clubs and attending games and events.
Now break out your notebooks, and write down your goals for this new semester. A goal that is written down, is much more likely to be accomplished. I hope this post inspired you to set some goals for yourself for this upcoming semester. If you have any other goal suggestions, I would LOVE to hear them. Let me know in the comments below!
Here are some of my favorite back to school essentials!